"Yet a time is coming
and has now come when the true worshipers will worship
the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the
kind of worshipers the Father seeks." - John 4:23

My Heavenly Daddy is healing
me from the inside out.

Transparency is Real.
Many times painful.

Daddy let me be secure in You only!

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

RECLAIM WHAT WAS ONCE LOST

As a child I was curious. Wondered how things ticked, worked. But, I soon learned that being and acting as a child around my earthly father at times was not acceptable.

My earthly dad was a alcoholic. A very impatient and not motivated individual who at times suffered from depression. I see it now. I remember an incident a few years after my parents divorced and I was around 15 visiting him one summer. He just broke up with a girlfriend. He would barely carry on a conversation. He was agitated, would sit and stare a lot. I tried to be a grownup the best I could during this time. I sensed his pain. But I met up against resistance to leave him alone. I felt hurt and once again ignored and not of worth.

Our Heavenly Father does not ignore us. Jesus invites us to change and become like little children. To once again engage in life as we go through our journey to healing. To once again have that curious spirit that was earlier squashed. Jesus wants us set free. To reclaim what was lost so long ago:


"He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I
tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you
will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself
like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 18:2-4

Children are naturally curious about life. They look at everything, hear everything, want to know about everything. They are ready for growth and responsive to life. But, childhood dies for many people because of neglect, abuse and losses experienced during early vulnerable years. The eagerness and engagement are poisoned. The responsiveness to life yields to fear and shame.

It is possible, however, to reclaim a lost childhood. It is possible to change in ways that allow us to experience the wonder, the awe, the engagement in life that God intended for us in childhood.

God invites us to experience this kind of change. God invites us to become like little children. Children are humble - they have a straightforward honesty about their feelings and needs. This humility makes childlike awe and engagement in life possible. It is a vulnerable, humble thing to be a child. Children get tired and need naps. Children need other people. Children have more questions than answers.

Jesus invites us to change and become like little children. It is an invitation to true humility which leads to spontaneity, curiosity and engagement in life.

Lord, I want to reclaim
the wonder and delight of childhood.
I want to be eager to learn again.
I want to be ready to love and be loved again.
Give me, Lord, the security and safety I need
to be vulnerable and humble.
Help me to be ready for surprises.
Amen

Copyright Dale and Juanita Ryan

...................................................................... I Got The Joy!

13 comments:

  1. JBR,

    Because of my past, my perception of our Heavenly Father was significantly damaged. Through much work in therapy with a Christian counselor, my church and prayer. I now see Him for who He really is, as much as I can. It is quite freeing. I'm glad that you are able to reclaim what was lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JBR a great post. Love how you are growing up in each post you share. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I echo your voice, and most importantly, your hopefullness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I have no doubt that God can return and restore everything satan has stolen -- including the innocence of a childhood lost.

    Love & blessings!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 06, 2010

    I'm sorry you had to go through that hardship as a child/teenager. But I think you are coming out of it on the other side. You are getting stronger.

    Wishing you well,
    NOS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JBR,

    God is a God who loves the opportunity to restore and bless us with abundance if we only seek Him first and then wait patiently for Him. He is that amazing that He can do it all. Nothing is impossible for Him.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 06, 2010

    Yes the father wants us to get back the innocence that was stolen from all of us. We've all come from some type of dsfunctional background. We've all had alot stolen from us. Great post JBR. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen...the God of restoration and renewal....

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are blessed to have a heavenly Father who loves us so much, that He gave His only Son so that we could be reconciled to Him. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first part of this post hit pretty close to home.

    Thank you for this wonderful, encouraging message. I do believe God can restore us. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree!!! AMEN! I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete